Better Than Necessary:
A Celebrational History of
Shawnee Mission North High School

 

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Introduction

I - The Decades
The 20's
The 30's
The 40's
The 50's
The 60's
The 70's
1980 and Beyond

II - Pictures
and Facts


III - School Spirit

Return to SMN-RAB for current reunion info and more...

    << Back to 1980 and Beyond

      Forward to School Spirit >>



Pictures and Facts


PRINCIPALS OF SHAWNEE MISSION RURAL/NORTH HIGH SCHOOL IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER

1922-33 Mr. D.A. Morgan

1933-44 Mr. A.L. Cross

1944-55 Dr. Howard 0. McEachen

1955-72 Mr. Murlin Welch

1972-73 Dr. Don O’NeiI

1973-81 Dr. Donald E. Wilson

1981- Dr. David G. Pendleton


FOOTBALL COACHES OF SHAWNEE MISSION RURAL/NORTH HIGH SCHOOL IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER

1922-23 Mr. A.L. Berry

1923-25 Mr. Harold F. Swaney

1926-33 Mr. W.B. Conklin

1934-55 Mr. Harold Reade

1955-57 Mr. Guy Barnes

1957-60 Mr. Bryan Sperry

1961-64 Mr. Reese Pollard

1964-78 Mr. Larry Taylor

1978- Mr. Bob Stauffer


A CHRONOLOGICAL LISTING OF SHAWNEE MISSION HIGH SCHOOLS

1922 — Shawnee Mission Rural High School

1958 — Shawnee Mission High School became Shawnee Mission North

1958 — Shawnee Mission East

1962 — Shawnee Mission West

1966 — Shawnee Mission South

1969 — Shawnee Mission Northwest


A Selective History of the Building of Shawnee Mission Rural/North High School in Chronological Order

1922 — The original building, which contained classrooms, a combination cafeteria and gymnasium, and offices for the principal. Now this area houses the Departments of Journalism, Mathematics and Forensics.

1936 — The addition of the "west" building and connecting arcade. The new building contained the auditorium, an office for the Vice-Principal (this is now the Girls’ Physical Education Office), classrooms and a gymnasium which seated 800. (The gym is now called the "girls" gym.) The Foreign Language Department occupies the upper section of this part. Many Shawnee Mission students remember the connecting arcade.

1943 — The Mechanic’s Building was added to the south of the west building. This new structure housed Vocational Training and Agriculture Classes. The buildings were connected by a concrete walkway. Through the years additions were made to the Mechanic’s Building. Today this area of the school is called "Grease" Hall and contains Vocational Training classed, Driver’s Education and the Art Department.

1950 — The "new" wing was built. This included the Field House or "Boys" Gym, the present Library, a "wing" of classrooms, which extended south of the cafeteria and library and which is now the Home Economics and Social Studies Departments. The Music Department, which was built between the west building and the Mechanic’s Building, and the classrooms, which house the Business Department and the present office were also added. Now the building is one unit connected by indoor hallways.

1969 — The swimming pool was added. This area included locker rooms for boys and girls and a wrestling room, which is now the weight room area.  Also built in this construction phase was the "Science" wing, which was added to the east of the new wing and which now connects the pool and the academic areas. Now the "Science" wing houses classes in Science, English and Social Studies.

1978 — The "Annex" was added. This self-contained building is an extension to the west of "Grease" Hall and contains facilities for Special Education classrooms.

wpe1.jpg (15091 bytes)
Shawnee Mission Rural High School 1922


Aerial view of Shawnee Mission North High School


MORE PICTURES TO BE POSTED LATER - THESE PAGES ARE STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION

 

SEE ALSO:  SMN History at a Glance



    Forward to School Spirit >>

              Table of Contents


Comments and corrections regarding this SMN web page should be addressed to:
Webmaster@SMN-RAB.org